Job title: Market Development Manager
Company: British Council
Job description: The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language. We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK. These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
To review business operations within the cluster or region in ensure our locations are optimised for recovery and growth. To project manage divestment and exits within their given market to ensure this is timely and cost effective. Identify and deliver new innovative business growth opportunities through new business models.
Strategy and/or planning
- Using global tools and standards undertake reviews of all premises within the cluster against business KPIs. Identifies premises that require in depth review with possible divestment.
- Plans and coordinates the approach to business closure ensuring this is efficient and cost effective.
- Reviewing the options available for teaching delivery to create greater operational flexibility, outside of physical teaching centre, including partner premise and online options.
- Works closely with regional colleagues to ensure in depth understanding of market and operating context.
Relationship and Stakeholder management
- Develops and excellent relationships with external partners and stakeholder to help build a clear understanding of the market opportunities.
- Leads the negotiation/structuring of local deals to achieve required operational goals, drawing appropriately on the input and expertise of other colleagues/external advisors as required.
Analysis and reporting
- Gathers and monitors market insights (in partnership with Marketing/Customer Service, B2BIG) to inform decision making and planning (market trends, competitive landscape, PESTLE) to make recommendations to on location strategy, operational flexibility and efficiency.
- Presents complex information clearly, using written, graphical and financial data/analysis, to enable evidence-based operational decision-making and planning.
Commercial and/or financial management
- Using agreed corporate systems and processes, plans and manages the core budget for a discrete strand of the unit’s work.
- Conducts monthly and year-end reporting on income and expenditure, profitability and risk, and actively applies learning from this process to improve financial planning, management and performance, including external suppliers.
Leadership & management
- As an experienced commercial manager, actively contributes to the development of wider regional and SBU strategies and commercial plans.
Risk and compliance
- Uses standard corporate protocols, combined with previous experience and detailed knowledge of the local social/political/security context, to assess a range of risks and how to mitigate them.
About You (essential requirements for the role):
- Experience of managing projects with internal and external dependencies on time and to target.
- Comfortable operating in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience of successfully leading and delivering transformational change.
- Experience of indepth business analysis.
- Knowledge of the MEA ELT market and the changing shape of customer demand post Pandemic
- English to C1 level
- QBE in business management.
- Experience of managing a Teaching business and the knowledge of the P&L structure and metrics that comes with this.
- Number of positions: 1
- Location: Flexible across MEA countries.
- Job Grade: 8/E
- Deadline to receive applications: February 2, 2023
- Other requirements: This role is open to candidates who are based in MEA region.
Please note that all applications should be submitted in English only.
It is advisable to apply in advance to avoid any technical issues at the last moment
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.
Location: Riyadh – Dubai
Job date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 05:26:05 GMT
Apply for the job now!