Job title: Senior Business Development Manager, Disputes, Investigations & Advisory
Job description: Senior Business Development Manager, Disputes, Investigations & Advisory (Dispute Resolution focus)
Ashurst’s business development department, London
Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history spanning more than 200 years. We are proud of our history and are future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit
Ashurst’s Global Business Development (BD) team is located in major cities across EMEA, Asia Pacific and the US . We execute the firm’s clients and markets strategy by driving profitable growth with a specific focus on our chosen products, sectors and priority clients. We focus on improving our client experience, driving BD campaigns, leveraging data analytics and client insights, significantly enhancing operational excellence and building out new BD capabilities.
The Senior Business Development Manager (Senior BDM) will be a part of our global Business Development team focusing on the Disputes, Investigations & Advisory (DI&A) Division and specialising on the Dispute Resolution & Investigations practice.
The Senior BDM is responsible for:
- Providing commercial advice on the development and execution of the EMEA Dispute Resolution strategic plans
- Serving as a key member of the EMEA DI&A leadership team
- Driving and managing the effective execution of the go-to-market-strategy
- Managing specified client accounts, ensuring relationships and growth targets are met or exceeded year-on-year
- Executing and supporting strategically important pursuits
- Providing sales training and driving client and pursuit excellence across key clients and pursuits
Strategy & Planning
- Work with the Divisional BD Director and key Dispute Resolution partners to develop and execute the BD strategy to maximise opportunities to grow revenue in line with the firm’s strategic plan
- Coach relevant partners and associates to deliver the business development objectives
- Develop and lead strategic BD initiatives to meet the business plan goals, evaluating progress on implementation
- Provide market information and analysis of financials to identify trends and opportunities to raise our profile and awareness in key markets
- Manage and support the entire opportunity pursuit process, including identifying opportunities, managing opportunity tracking processes, preparing client-focused sales collateral and coordinating partners around pipelines
- Collaborate with other practice and industry BDMs to identify cross-selling opportunities
- Support all relevant major client opportunities including pitches and proposals, working closely with the Global Bids and Pricing teams
- Provide Dispute Resolution related input, as required, on transactional or project pitches across the Ashurst network
- Ensure that post matter debriefs are completed for strategically important pitches.
- Develop and implement integrated profile raising campaigns, thought leadership, digital marketing, events and other market facing activities, working collaboratively with the BD team and other specialists
- Develop and manage the UK DI&A BD budgets, monitoring spend and capturing ROI
- Maintain knowledge of key and emerging issues impacting the DI&A Division
- Share knowledge across the wider BD team and contribute to functional and firm-wide training programmes
- Manager BD Executives to ensure the requirements for data capture are met (e.g. experience statements; relevant directory and award submissions; etc.)
- Lead and develop the aligned BD Executives to ensure that all performance and learning metrics are achieved
- Contribute to wider BD team projects, including supporting new systems and processes, as required
- Support Client Relationship Partners to develop and execute client account plans for relevant key clients to help deepen relationships and drive profitable growth across the Ashurst network
- Coordinate and manage pipeline development with the Client Relationship Partners within the designated client accounts
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the nominated clients and their businesses, and assist with the sharing of that information within Ashurst
- Engage with the Client Listening programme by conducting and capturing client feedback through client listening, matter and pitch debriefs
Coordinate and liaise with other CRMs to ensure consistency and sharing of strategic information across clients and industries
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Previous experience in a professional services BD environment
- Demonstrated leadership experience for both coaching teams and managing major projects and/or initiatives
- Commercial awareness and an innovative mind-set for developing and evolving ways of working
- Enthusiastic and proactive, with the ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects and activities
- Excellent verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively interact with peers and influence internal clients including senior stakeholders
- Strategic thinker with strong focus on execution
- Ability to build positive and collaborative working relationships with the BD, legal teams and other functions
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Job date: Wed, 17 May 2023 23:31:44 GMT
Apply for the job now!