St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Davis Library, the Part-Time Social Media Assistant will assist the Director of Communications and Marketing, Tobin College of Business, and the Davis Library director in a manner that supports the Maurice R. Greenberg School of Risk Management, Insurance and Actuarial Science (GSRM) and its constituents’ social media goals and initiatives. This is not a supervisory position.
- Schedule, edit, upload and update content for GSRM subdivisions through social media management platforms/channels.
- Review all content for consistency in messaging fixing errors when found and eliminate redundant or dated content, when necessary, across the different social media platforms/channels.
- Demonstrate knowledge of social media marketing strategies.
- Develop social media calendar for upcoming events and scheduling social media posts and solicit content from the different GSRM constituents.
- Assists with online marketing of events in GSRM.
- Conduct regular assessments to report updates, issues, and opportunities as identified through platform/channel analytics and GSRM constituents’ feedback.
- Communicate ongoing social media needs with the Director of Communications and Marketing.
- Migrate digital content, as necessary.
- Assist in the production, editing, and proofreading of social media posts, and electronic newsletters, reports, flyers, etc. produced by GSRM constituents.
- Assist in maintaining consistent SJU, Tobin College and GSRM branding and tone, ensuring all content is consistent with established standards and relevant across posts and electronic documents.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Strong computer skills include proficiency in the following computer programs (Microsoft Office) for word processing, databases, spreadsheets, Outlook e-mail, internet, and electronic document management.
- Knowledge of managing social media platform/channels, and social media functions: hashtags, posting and sharing posts, retweets, favorites, pinning, tagging, and influencers.
- Familiarity with SEO ( Search engine optimization) , social media and internet marketing industry trends, developments, and best practices.
- Experience with electronic and wireless communications to send email, transmit work, review copy, and proof online.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to write effectively under deadlines for various purposes, goals, audiences, and media.
- Flexibility to work independently and in a team environment.
- Attention to detail, organized, self-motivated, exceptional time management, and adaptable to changing communications needs.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to gather and interpret social media data, problem-solve, and suggest process improvements.
- Basic knowledge of risk management, insurance and/or actuarial science.
- Experience with directing social media posts to professionals and high school and university students.
This position operates 90% in a virtual professional environment and 10% in a professional office environment. This position requires you to use standard office equipment such as personal computers, printers, etc.
Continuously requires vision, hearing, talking, and fine dexterity. Frequently requires sitting and standing. Occasionally requires pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, walking, and carrying. Rarely requires bending, crouching, kneeling, twisting, lifting, climbing, and foot controls.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time job expected to work 13 hours a week, between Monday and Friday during 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. at mutual convenience.
Required Education And Experience
Bachelor’s degree required in Business , English, journalism, marketing, advertisement, or communications-related field and up to two (2) years of social media management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
The hourly salary range for this position is $21.80 – $25.00.
This position may be relocated to any of St. John’s University’s physical locations at any time
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.