About the opportunity
The University of Sydney welcomes applications for Lecturers in the academic disciplines outlined below, during an exciting and innovative time. With the introduction of the new University of Sydney Enterprise Agreement 2023-26, the University has committed to establishing and advertising new continuing teaching and research positions across various faculties.
The University aims to attract and retain the best and brightest emerging academics. To support an uplift in the teaching and research capability and student experience at the University of Sydney, these positions are for talented researchers who also have a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice.
You will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to teaching and learning design, delivery, and evaluation in your specialised field while you also continue to build substantial research contribution, expertise, connections and impact. As part of this role, you will also contribute to the governance, leadership, and engagement work of your employing school.
It is anticipated that staff appointed to these roles will engage with professional development and build their capability to lead change and improvement in teaching and research at the University.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- design and engage in high-quality teaching and learning experiences which meet the University’s expectations and standards for education
- deliver outstanding teaching and learning outcomes for students
- develop teaching and subject materials under the supervision of more senior academic staff within the school/faculty
- through research and scholarly creative work, contribute to knowledge within your discipline or area of expertise
- develop and refine your research skills
- maintain quality, standards and excellence in your research activities and output
- contribute to the governance, leadership, and engagement work in your school.
The University of Sydney is recognised as one of the top research and teaching universities in the world.
(Please note when submitting your application, choose only the teaching / research field from the listed options below.) To build on this performance, the University is seeking applications for the following positions:
- Lecturer in Exercise Science and/or Exercise Physiology (School of Health Science)
We are seeking a full-time academic at the level of lecturer with a background in motor control, motor learning or skill acquisition. Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) accreditation at the level of Exercise Physiologist, Exercise Scientist or Sport Scientist is desirable. Responsibilities will include teaching into both the undergraduate and postgraduate programs in exercise science and exercise physiology.
- Lecturer in Composition for Creative Industries (CCI)
Successful candidates for this position will be experienced composers working in the contemporary commercial creative industries at the highest levels. Their extensive professional practice and previous teaching experience at the tertiary level will foster authentic industry-focussed creative learning, leadership and research in our Composition for Creative Industries students. They will have expertise in both notation and digital audio workstation (DAW)-based commercial working environments.
- Lecturer in Design
- Lecturer in Design and Urban Technologies
The School seeks candidates with track records of investigation and education in the intersection of design, urbanism and emerging technologies. The successful candidate will contribute to research in the field and teach in undergraduate and postgraduate sustainable design, including studio in which students explore the implications of diverse technologies for urbanism.
- Lecturer in Biomolecular Sciences (School of Life Environmental Sciences)
The School of Life and Environmental Sciences is recruiting a Lecturer in biomolecular science who will enhance our current expertise in molecular and cell biology and biochemistry including molecular and cellular aspects of metabolism and nutrition, structural biology, gene expression, plant molecular biology and microbiology. The successful applicant will contribute to existing teaching units as well as the development of new ones and secure competitive external research funding. They should have an upward trajectory of excellent publications in high quality journals for their field. They should also have experience of teaching biomolecular science including lectures, tutorials and supervision of laboratory-based practicals, demonstrated understanding and experience of work health and safety issues related to biomolecular science, significant experience of successful supervision of PhD students, either formally or on a day to day basis, and a clear vision of how their planned research would complement and/or enrich the existing strengths and expertise of the School, which range from molecular biology to agriculture and ecology. A demonstrated interest in working at disciplinary interfaces, as well as strong disciplinary expertise and track-record, would be an advantage.
- Lecturer in Environmental Economics (School of Economics)
The School welcomes applications from candidates who have a PhD in the relevant discipline. The successful candidate for this position will be a specialist in environmental economics, with an ambitious program of completed and ongoing research in environmental economics.
- Lecturer in Jurisprudence/ or Civil Disputes
The School is recruiting research and teaching talent in the areas of jurisprudence or civil disputes. The successful applicant will contribute to the development of new jurisprudence or civil disputes units of study and diversification of Law School curriculum, particularly within the Professional Law Programs (LLB/JD). For jurisprudence applicants, the Law School encourages scholars in all areas of jurisprudence, especially those working on critical theory, social theory or feminist theory.
These teaching and research roles are to attract and retain the best and brightest emerging academics, within a specialised category of academic engagement for talented educators and researchers with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and research.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talented academics who align to these values and who will lead our teaching and research work at the university in the years to come. You will join a dynamic, engaged group in a highly collaborative and supportive teaching and research environment.
We are looking for candidates who can make a significant contribution to teaching and learning design, delivery, and evaluation while continuing to build their research contribution, expertise and impact. They will have a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with students, facilitating and guiding their learning in research, theory and laboratory sessions. They will also have the capacity to build a significant research program over time, obtaining competitive funding as needed to support their research work.
We are therefore looking for Lecturers who have:
- a PhD or near completion in an academic field relevant to the discipline
- the demonstrated ability to carry out high quality research in the relevant discipline
- a track record of high quality research outputs appropriate to the discipline that is on an upward trajectory
- a high level of interpersonal skills including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- a record of excellent teaching, learning, and assessment practice in a tertiary environment, as evidenced through student and supervisor feedback
- a record of attracting competitive, external funding to support their research
- a high level of written and verbal communication skills
- the capacity to engage students and enable a supportive, inclusive learning environment
- evidence of independent research ability
- proven experience in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives
- a demonstrated commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching
- the ability to work collaboratively with other staff, including professional staff, and foster principles of equity, diversity and inclusion.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role-required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds, including women.
We are proud to be recognised as an Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) Gold employer. Find out more about our work on diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Please prepare and upload a statement indicating how you believe you meet the criteria outlined in the advertisement (maximum 3 A4 pages) and a CV which can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page. Applications will be reviewed as received.
Current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
Please refer to the Recruitment Guidelines for key information about this recruitment campaign.