Full Job Description
Birmingham International Academy
University of Birmingham, Dubai campus
Location: Dubai, UAE
Closing date: 8 July 2022
Number of positions: 3
Please note that you are required to submit a shortlisting task with your application. Further details of this task can be found here
University of Birmingham
A unique opportunity has arisen to become part of the University of Birmingham and to join our mission to deliver a world class British university education in the global city and international hub of Dubai. This post represents an excellent opportunity to join an ambitious World Top 100 University as we continue to grow our long-term strategic mission in Dubai, the UAE and the wider region. Our campus reflects the very best of Birmingham through our presence in Dubai.
In September 2022, the University of Birmingham opened its new branch campus in Dubai and we are seeking to appoint Teaching Fellows in English for Academic Purposes to join our expanding team.
The teaching is research-informed, and staff are encouraged to take part in relevant conferences and CPD training sessions.
Summary of Role
The post holder will be expected to teach English for Academic Purposes across a range of programmes or modules including Foundation EAP modules; Academic English in-sessional courses; Pre-sessional English courses, delivered in collaboration with the Colleges and Birmingham International Academy (BIA); and occasional Academic Professional Programmes.
The post holder will be expected to teach on average 18 hours per week (with reduction being given for administrative, managerial or other duties as directed and agreed) and conduct 1 to 1 tutorials. The post holder will be expected to teach for 39 weeks per year. S/he will teach across all programmes but may predominantly be attached to a specific programme for materials development or managerial purposes (specialist duties may include assessment development, teacher development, VLE development, quality systems and audits).
The post holder will also undertake other teaching related activities and any other relevant duties, as laid down by the BIA Operations and Development Director /EAP TNE Programme Manager.
The post is within the Birmingham International Academy (BIA) which sits within Academic Services and has a strong international profile.
- To plan and prepare own teaching, including materials, handouts and use of VLE in accordance with the established objectives of the teaching programmes.
- To prepare students with the English language and academic skills they will need for their chosen academic programme using research-informed teaching methodology.
- To deliver teaching flexibly where required within a classroom environment or remotely as required using the LMS and video conference technology.
- To contribute to the design of modules with other colleagues.
- Monitor students’ academic learning outcomes, track progress and benchmark achievement against set targets
- Supervise student projects, and generally assist students to improve their academic communications skills, develop relevant study skills and habits and transition socially and academically.
- Undertake a full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining of all summative assessment (subject to validation by academic supervisor), as well as to any progress checks, presentations and coursework implemented during the course.
- Provide pastoral care and academic advice in a prompt and effective manner.
- Provide cover for other teachers when necessary.
- Provide, where possible in advance, a lesson plan and materials for any lessons to be covered by a substitute teacher in the event of an unavoidable absence.
- Frequently update own subject expertise and complete all mandatory training as requested.
- Undertake personal professional development in teaching, including self-reflection on own teaching, using feedback from management observations as well as student and peer review feedback, to enhance own teaching and learning processes.
- Develop an approach to planning and developing own teaching through participation in Continuous Professional Development.
- Attend all staff meetings and contribute ideas for the improvement of the programme.
- Be conversant with and uphold the principles inherent in the core competencies of an EAP practitioner, as detailed in the TEAP competency framework, developed by BALEAP.
- Undertake management/administration arising from teaching.
- Contribute to knowledge transfer on own specialism that is of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader.
- Contribute to BIA teaching-related activities and teaching-related administration.
- Promote equality and values diversity acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
- A Masters in a TEFL-related area and a CELTA or
- A diploma in English teaching/ PGCE with substantial TEFL component, or diploma-level qualifications as defined in section 4.2 of the British Council’s Accreditation UK handbook
- Substantial experience and expertise in delivering EAP/ESAP at a UK Higher Education institution to UG and PG international students from a diverse range of backgrounds and an excellent teaching record
- A sound knowledge and understanding of pedagogic and academic issues in teaching EAP/ESP
- Experience of teaching English for Specific Academic Purposes (e.g., to students of Engineering, Law, etc).
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the UK higher education system
- Excellent classroom performance
- Ability to design and deliver module materials and assessments successfully.
- Confidence and skills in using technology to deliver teaching online
- Clear and effective written and oral presentation skills.
- Experience of safeguarding the welfare of students.
- The ability to form professional working relationships with all students, including under 18s and vulnerable adults.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and collegiality.
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes.
- Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day-to-day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly.
As interest in all of the advertised posts has been extremely high, we encourage you to apply online, tailoring your skillset against the listed criteria in the application form.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
Primary Location AE-AE-Dubai
Work Locations Dubai Dubai International Academic City341799 Dubai
Organization Academic Services
Job Posting 13.06.2022, 5:04:23 AM
Grade (for job description) Grade 7
Advert Close Date 08.07.2022, 5:59:00 PM
Fixed Term Contract End Date 31.08.2025