£32,500 – £35,000 a year
BenefitsPulled from the full job description
Paid volunteer time
Full Job Description
We are Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S). We make sure the UK military is equipped, supported, and connected, as they protect life at home and overseas. We manage a vast range of complex projects to buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need, so they can operate safely and effectively.
Our people push for best-in-class every day – because it helps keep our nation safe. So whatever your background, whatever your skill set, if you’re driven to set new standards, find your place with us. Ready to see where your ambition will lead you?
- Job description
- Are you an Engineer looking for a motivating, challenging, and exciting role supporting the UK’s Royal Navy? If so, we have some fantastic opportunities offering stability and career progression, with access to some of the most exciting and rewarding projects in the UK Defence industry!
- The successful applicants will join one of our integrated teams of highly skilled professionals. You will help ensure the platforms and equipment we deliver to the UK military front-line are safe to use. Covering a vast array of responsibilities, you could be working in a platform team on marine propulsion, mechanical and auxiliary systems, or join one of our equipment teams that work round the clock to maintain a variety equipment across the entire Royal Navy fleet.
- We are keen to support you in your continued professional development and offer a multitude of opportunities for career progression.
- Please note, the successful applicants may be required to travel to other UK sites and military bases on occasion.
Within our dynamic teams, you will provide technical support and guidance for equipment and system design, whilst monitoring and enhancing platform performance. Our goal is to ensure we are delivering and supporting military capability through life.
Depending on team allocation, your key responsibilities may include the following:
- Collect and manage the engineering requirements from definition to assessment phase, and through verification, validation and acceptance from the end user or Customer
- Providing technical support for maintenance and obsolescence reporting as well as reviewing and actioning design and build concessions
- Management of technical risk, ensuring risks are understood and managed across all key stakeholders, including Customer and Contractor(s)
- Supporting equipment inspections, technical investigations, test and trials, and issuing necessary technical recommendations
- Liaising with internal/external customers & suppliers, including liaising with the dockyard
- Overseeing and line management of junior members of the team
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will have a relevant HNC (i.e., Level 4 or higher) qualification in an engineering subject, or have equivalent relevant experience
- You will have experience in a mechanical or marine engineering role
- You will have experience working with other teams and a variety of stakeholders
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical requirements, evaluation & acceptance – supervised practitioner
- Improve engineering capability – supervised practitioner
- Communicating and influencing
- Making effective decisions
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Funding for qualifications and subscriptions to professional associations, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more in our Little Book of Big Benefitsandpension schemesguidance
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £32,500.00-£35,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bristol: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location