Job title: Senior Development Manager (Business, Law and Social Sciences)
Company: Birmingham City University
Job description: An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Birmingham City University (BCU). We are looking for an experienced individual to join our Partnerships Team to support the Faculty of Business, Law and Social Sciences as a Senior Development Manager (SDM-BLSS). This position will allow you to build up and drive a rich portfolio of activity.
BCU has a vibrant, state-of-the-art campus in the heart of Birmingham, where innovation and enterprise is driven from our flagship facilities. Its activities are deeply routed in the city region, providing R&D, skills and talent to local enterprises. Our investments and activities contributed over £532m GVA to the economy. Our student and academic population is highly diverse, coming from over 100 different nationalities. BCU is ranking in the Top 10 universities nationally for delivery of knowledge transfer partnerships and in the Top 15 for Student and Graduate Enterprises. Thus providing an excellent springboard for the new SDM-BLSS.
To work closely with the leadership teams in Business School and Social Sciences to deliver BCU’s enterprise strategy. The role requires excellent knowledge of working in or with the higher education sector with the ability to connect across academia, industry, and public sector to develop activity of clear benefit to the university and its partners. You will work closely with the Faculty leadership and the academic base to developing high value partnerships with external organisations, generate income through bids and tenders, facilitate knowledge exchange and raise the profile of the Faculty. The SDM will be instrumental in developing a growing portfolio of enterprise activity and bringing our enterprise strategy to life.
- To broker academic connections internally and externally
- To drive high-value, external partnerships
- To develop new concepts or projects, supporting enterprise ambitions and income targets
- To raise the reputation of the Faculty and its academics
- To liaise with Faculty leadership and individual academics and support delivery of the Faculty research and enterprise strategy
Core responsibilities and activities focus on:
- Driving external partnerships, creating the deep relationships needed to win work and influence to deliver enterprise objectives in the domains of Business, Law and Social Sciences.
- Working closely academics to develop concepts, respond to funding opportunities. Ensuring incoming work is delivered well.
- Advising academics on all aspects of partnership and funding requirements.
- Leading the timely preparation of major projects/proposals and co-ordinating activities with senior Faculty members to build and lead specialist multi-disciplinary project teams, contributing own expertise in relevant areas.
- Managing the interface with external clients and University academics, account managing key partners. Ensuring that the university’s intellectual property is appropriately protected.
- Embedding sector wide good practices within the team that increases the quality and volume of funded work
- Good understanding of the funding and knowledge domains related to Business and Social Sciences
- A strong communicator who reaches different audiences
- An excellent team worker that connects across sectors and collaborates across institutional groups
- Solid experience in design and delivery of complex research and innovation projects
- Good understanding of the current national/international trends for funding, enterprise and research in Business and Social Sciences
- Proven leadership qualities to drive and influence results in multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong IT skills and data literacy
- Experience in negotiating commercially relevant activities e.g. securing intellectual property rights, supporting start-ups or spin outs, bringing a product or service to market, arranging commercial research contracts
£56,127 to £61,007 per annum
Expected salary: £56127 – 61007 per year
Job date: Thu, 18 May 2023 00:49:23 GMT
Apply for the job now!