Job title: Snr Business Development Manager – UK
Company: Antal International
Job description: Job Description
Job Title: Senior Business Development Manager – UK
Salary: Excellent Package + Salary
Purpose of the Role
This is a critical role to the success of the Bank. The purpose of this role is to grow the Bank’s trade finance and corporate banking business, primarily through the direct marketing of applicants in the Bank’s main African markets, and beneficiaries in exporter markets. This position is a Business Development role with responsibility to develop and deliver the Bank’s Trade Finance strategy (trade finance being a core product area of the Bank). This role will also have responsibility for developing Corporate Banking business for the Bank, in liaison with the Group GAM for the UK.
The Bank’s objective is to build lasting and value-added relationships with its customers. The incumbent will assist with formulating the Trade Finance and Corporate Banking strategy, identifying target markets and target customers.
The incumbent will be mandated to grow the Bank’s Trade Finance business through the proactive marketing of Financial Institutions and corporates domiciled primarily in Africa, grow Bank’s share of the overall Trade Finance wallet as well as increase Trade Finance throughput and revenues.
Additionally, the incumbent will be required to maintain a high level of market presence and visibility, including representing the Bank in client and industry networking events. The role entails travel to key export and import markets in Africa, Middle East, and Europe.
The frontline role acts as first line of defence in the risk governance framework to monitor the day-to-day risk environment and is a key element in the identification and prevention of financial crime risks including money laundering, terrorist financing and proliferation financing.
The role supports the Bank to deliver the Business Plan and strategic objectives within the context of the organisational capabilities, business environment, UK legislation and regulations; and ensures that all commercial decisions e.g., product, market, customer, scope, or process, receive appropriate due consideration.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Maintain good communication and liaise with all other departments including Trade Finance Operations, Compliance, Risk, Finance, Audit, etc. to ensure that all queries and requirements are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Together with the team to act as the gatekeeper in the first line of defence, collaborate with risk and Compliance team to enhance risk controlling processes.
- Collation of KYC documentation for existing and new clients, liaising both externally and internally to meet all requirements.
- Oversight and monitoring of Customers transactional activity against expected account activity on an on-going basis with support from the relevant Teams (i.e., Treasury, Operations).
- Conduct a regular transaction monitoring activity look-back exercise for relationships on a periodic review or trigger event.
- Reports any suspicious activity to the MLRO and/or Deputy Nominated Officer where money laundering, terrorist financing and proliferation financing risks are identified.
- Maintains a working knowledge of bank operating policies and procedures which impact commercial relationships.
- Monitors direct and operating exposures of portfolio to ensure actual performance is consistent with approved limits -and consistent with the understanding.
- Initiates timely changes to risk ratings to reflect changes in conditions that impact our customers and the bank’s risk exposure, including regulatory compliance.
- Completes accurate and timely credit actions, including periodic reviews, renewals and modifications.
Senior Management & Certification Regime (SMCR) – FCA/PRA
- Material Risk Taker – Certification Regime
In-depth knowledge and experience of:
- Previous senior business development role in a financial institution
- Business planning, business model development, policy formulation
- PRA and FCA Regulations and UK Company Legislation
- KYC, AML, CTF and PF rules and regulations
- Risk awareness, monitoring, and mitigation
- Treasury, Wholesale Banking and Trade Finance product knowledge
- General experience and background experience for successful execution of the role
- Banking experience, particularly in a UK-based, foreign owned institution
- Emerging markets experience
- Stakeholder management and engagement at board level
- Leadership, team building and people management
- Decision making, critical thinking and problem solving
- Strategic outlook and vision
- Degree educated – honours level or equivalent
- Member of a relevant professional institute
- Postgraduate business or management qualification e.g., MBA
Awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Bank operates:
- Knowledge of the competitive environment the Group operates in – countries, customer, and competitors – and any legal/compliance/regulatory implications associated.
- Knowledge of the regulatory and legislative developments affecting the UK and African banking markets that the Bank operates in.
- Identify potential areas for expansion – new markets, products, clients.
Awareness and understanding of Bank’s customer needs and requirements:
- Ensure that our customers are central to our decision-making process
- Ensure that all products and services offered are transparent, appropriate, and fully understood by our customers
- Ensure that all customer journeys are efficient, effective, and monitored to ensure appropriately satisfactory outcomes are achieved.
Business Strategy & Business Model
Awareness and understanding of the Bank business strategy:
- Execute transactions which support the Bank’s strategy and operate in line with the business model
- Monitor income from trade finance and corporate banking business against budget and institute appropriate/corrective actions when faced with negative variances
- Prompt customer service; ‘customer first’ spirit
Risk Management & Control
Identify, assess, monitor, control and mitigate risks to the Bank:
- Ensure transactions captured are within agreed bank risk limits and exposures tolerance levels; compliant with client controls and credit policy
- Processes and controls are in place to effectively control the transaction lifecycle, including reconciliations and analysis
- Trade within Risk Limits for counterparty and credit risk
- Knowledge of the potential Financial Crime/AML/Risks inherent in the Bank’s markets
- Ongoing AML/KYC training is up to date and tested
Financial Analysis & Costs
Interpret the Bank’s financial information, to identify key issues based on this information and to put in place appropriate controls and measures:
- Utilise MIS to manage business effectively and make informed decisions.
Governance Oversight & Controls
Assess the effectiveness of the Bank’s arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight, and controls in the business and, if necessary, to oversee changes in these areas:
- Awareness and understanding of Business Development governance, oversight and controls.
- Business continuity plan tested and maintained from a Business Development perspective.
- Ensure KYC is carried out prior to transacting with new clients.
- Understanding of the Board approved Risk Appetite Statement.
Regulatory Framework & Requirements
Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Bank operates and the regulatory requirements and expectations:
- Ensuring the firm is compliant with UK legislation and regulations
- Compliance with the Senior Managers and Certification Regimes
- Comply with FCA and PRA conduct rules
Per Regulators Conduct Rules
- Acts with Integrity,
- Acts with due skill, care, and diligence.
- Must be open, transparent, and cooperative with the FCA, PRA and other regulators.
- Pays due regard to customers interests and treats them fairly.
- Observes market conduct standards.
Maintenance of Role Profile
The role holder is responsible for the on-going review and maintenance of their own role profile to ensure that it is up to date and reflects the current:
- role purpose, responsibilities, accountabilities, and competencies required
- organisational structure for reporting lines and lines of delegation of authority
- previous versions are kept for reference, a version is emailed to Head of HR and line manager, and a signed version is kept on file for regulatory and audit purposes.
Job date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 22:42:30 GMT
Apply for the job now!