The Insurance Verification Specialist is responsible for verifying health insurance benefits for all new patients or existing patients.
This position will contact patient’s insurance company to verify coverage levels retrieve authorizations and works with patients to walk them through their benefits information.
Notify patients and help arrange alternative payment methods when insurance coverage does not cover services. Coordinating with billing department to ensure accuracy and efficiency with all related processes.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Responsible for verifying patient insurance coverage, to ensure necessary procedures are covered by an individual’s provider.
- Responsible for entering data in an accurate manner to update patient benefit information correctly in EMR and verify that existing information is accurate.
- Perform routine administrative and clerical tasks.
- Explaining coverages and out of pocket responsibility to patients and help arrange payment methods.
- Collect copayments and or other payments from patients.
- Filling out documentation required for billing.
- Notify patients and help arrange alternative payment methods when insurance coverage does not cover services.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Strong attention to detail
- High degree of confidentiality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience in clerical / office support work and / or medical billing preferred.
- Candidate must demonstrate the ability to understand and navigate the payer adjudication process.
- Patient financial and practice management system experience and other electronic billing systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology in an academic healthcare setting is preferred.
- Employees in this role are considered essential workers as part of the critical infrastructure.
- No prior criminal history.
- Ability to utilize technology.
- Proficient computer skills- Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, Windows, specifically Excel
- Ability to operate basic office equipment.